Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Valentine's Day Onesie





My new addiction... freezer paper stenciling.  I love how easy it is and how you can create a t-shirt design and paint it on yourself with almost no experience needed. With Valentine's day coming up soon, I thought that my daughter Lillie could use a Valentine's onesie to wear.



 To make your own onesie you will need:

A Blank Onesie - I used a white onesie and dyed it with Rit dye in "Fuchsia"
freezer paper
acrylic craft paint
Fabric painting medium- I found it a Michaels
foam brush
a Cricut or other craft cutter- You could also use an x-acto knife to cut out design
iron
something to put inside onesie to prevent paint from soaking through to other side- I use a Ziplock bag

First you figure out what design you want to put on your onesie.  I cut my freezer paper to the size of my cutting mat and place it shiny side down. I used my cricut to cut out what I wanted, but you could print an image off your computer, trace it on the freezer paper, and cut it out.




After your design is cut, put it on the onesie where you want it to be, still keeping the shiny side of the freezer paper facing down. Make sure you keep put the little pieces like the insides of the "O"






Take your iron and go over the whole design so that it sticks to the fabric. When your design is on there, mix the fabric medium and craft paint according to the directions on the medium bottle.  This is the fabric medium I use...


Make sure you have put something in the inside of your shirt so that the paint does not go all the way through the onesie and start painting in your design. I use a small foam brush. Be careful not to get under the freezer paper as you paint, but if you iron well enough, that should not be too much of a problem.



Once you are done, you just have to wait until the paint is done drying and carefully peel the freezer paper off. I am not very patient and usually end up using my blow dryer to speed up the process... The fabric medium I use says to heat set it for 30 seconds with a iron. I put a towel over it then iron.


And your onesie is done!!!


I added a tutu and a cute hat and I am happy with how cute it looks!  She is all ready for Valentine's day!

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever heard of freezer paper...I'll have to research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured out how to reply! Freezer paper is usually found by the aluminum foil, wax paper, etc in the store. Its big but I just cut it to my cricut mat size :)

      Delete